[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Matt Hansen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:03:05 UTC 2018

[quote="gerkey, post:24, topic:6155"]
For reference, from our internal staffing plans I estimate that preparing and releasing a ROS 1 distro requires 8-9 person-months of effort from our team.
[/quote]

One thing I wanted to mention was that @gerkey stated the above 8-9 person-months for an average ROS1 LTS release. I'd like to get an estimate of what it will be to do the Python2 -> Python3 conversion in addition to the 'normal' library upgrades and such of an average new LTS release. My guess is that it's significantly more, thus my original proposal.

Also, I think the idea of the community taking up the work to do it is a completely valid one. If people don't want to move to ROS1, then nothing should stop them from self-organizing and taking on the work of doing the Python2->3 port themselves and creating a new LTS in 2020.

So maybe the transition plan could be a combination of things:
1) A migration script to do 80% of the ROS1 -> ROS2 conversion for those who want to migrate
2) An improved ROS1 bridge for running hybrid systems?
3) ROS2 support in 2020 on both 18.04 and 20.04
4) Support of Melodic until 2023
5) Better documentation of ROS2 (see @mikeferguson thread)

Anything I missed there that is discussed in this thread?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/54) or reply to this email to respond.