[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Dirk Thomas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:18:16 UTC 2018

[quote="mkhansen, post:54, topic:6155"]

Id like to get an estimate of what it will be to do the Python2 -> Python3 conversion in addition to the normal library upgrades and such of an average new LTS release. My guess is that its significantly more, thus my original proposal.

[/quote]

On some platforms (e.g. Gentoo) ROS 1 users are already using Python 3 today. So "some part" of the code base is already Python 3 compatible. The amount of work necessary is hard to estimate. From my experience changing existing Python code to support both (version 2 and version 3) is commonly fairly simple. There are only very few cases where it is more difficult. As soon as a distro would be setup offering Jenkins bases CI / PR jobs using Python 3 those should be fixable iteratively. This is also a task where contributions from the community could go a long way to spread the workload.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/55) or reply to this email to respond.