[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Your thoughts on Intel Realsense D415/D435

Martijn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:49:59 UTC 2018

As far as I know the issue that requires a reset is still there. I ran across a fork of the realsense2-camera package that actually detected this and did the soft reset automatically, but it's still annoying that you don't get frames for a moment. Apparently this is a firmware issue that is on their to-do list for some time already.

Some colleagues and me have mainly been using the D415 camera for a while now. Mainly the slow delivery of the D435 made us start with the D415 instead, but we've now received a D435 as well. I haven't tried the D435 yet, so I can't really say much about how they compare.

I've been playing around with a D415 in a mobile robot where I use it together with [pointcloud_to_laserscan](https://github.com/ipa320/pointcloud_to_laserscan) to generate laser scans for amcl and some other ideas for localisation. I was positively surprised by the accuracy of the depth image, where sometimes even up to 15 meters it gives reasonable measurements (less than 30 cm error). However I have only played around, no extensive checks and no tests in poor lighting conditions etc.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/your-thoughts-on-intel-realsense-d415-d435/6467/7) or reply to this email to respond.