[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Dave Coleman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 02:14:49 UTC 2018

I am very excited about what ROS2 already is today. No one is perfect, and no project is run perfectly. Yet we roboticists have complained about the limitations of ROS1 for years. Now we finally have an improved alternative that addresses many of those limitations. Why all the fuss?

Open source funding and development is hard and you won't get rich off it. Yet Open Robotics, many partners, and the community have brought to the world (free of charge) a new platform with very limited resources. While no one is saying it will happen tomorrow, I'm looking forward to ramping down ROS1 development and future releases. Instead we need to focus our limited community resources on a better robotics middleware that wasn't built in a graduate student lab in 2007.

+1 @mikeferguson to organizing the ROS2 docs!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/61) or reply to this email to respond.