[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Official docker images outdated, resulting in segfaults

Sloretz ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:04:21 UTC 2018

Hi Felix,

If I understand correctly the official `ros` images can be rebuilt only by changing the dockerfile - like adding `RUN echo "rebuild this please"` to the top. While it would make this crash go away in the short term, long term I don't think this solves the problem.

If images were manually edited every sync there would always be a significant delay between the sync and the rebuild. During that time many images could be built that are affected by an ABI breakage. In this case the ABI breakage causes a segfault quickly. Next sync a more subtle ABI breakage might corrupt data and go unnoticed. I think it would be safer for downstream dockerfiles to always upgrade their packages when installing additional `ros-<distro>-*` packages.

```dockerfile
RUN apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install -y \
    ros-kinetic-diagnostic-aggregator \
&& rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
```

Here's a link to a ticket where @ruffsl asked the docker maintainers to trigger a rebuild of the `ros` images, and they replied saying they don't have a way to do so.

https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/issues/3890

This ticket is about automatically changing the version numbers in the dockerfile every sync, and has more info about why it is more difficult than it sounds.

https://github.com/osrf/docker_images/issues/112

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/official-docker-images-outdated-resulting-in-segfaults/6517/2) or reply to this email to respond.