[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] [ros2arduino] Discussion for development : ROS2 library for Arduino

Nick Burek ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:20:36 UTC 2018

[quote="Kei, post:4, topic:6498"]
I think it would be nice if you could share your thoughts here. (Especially the interface you have drafted)
[/quote]

I'm working on getting what I've already done through my company's open sourcing sign off policy so that I can share it here.

The core idea of it was that it would contain its own rcl and rmw layers. The rcl layer would handle some of the ROS specific logic like adding the prefixes to topic names before handing it off to the rmw implementation. The memory for Nodes, Topics, and Buffers was all allocated statically and controlled via a config file that the application would provide. The rcl layer handled most of the memory management of the preallocated buffers for the create functions so that the rmw implementations wouldn't each have to reimplement that logic.

The interface into the rcl layer was agnostic of the underlying rmw layer so that you could swap out the underlying DDS-XRCE implementation relatively easily. To do this it relied on a common format for message serialize/deserialize functions. The idea was that each rmw  implementation would also provide a generator to take the ROS .msg files, convert to idl, generate the C code need for serializing with their DDS-XRCE client, and generate a wrapper for that with the rcl's message interface.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2arduino-discussion-for-development-ros2-library-for-arduino/6498/6) or reply to this email to respond.