[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Jonathan Bohren ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 13:31:38 UTC 2018

[quote="facontidavide, post:81, topic:6155"]

This is not a a discussion about ROS2 vs ROS1 and if it was, it would be clearly ROS1 is sufficient for academic and hobbyists use, ROS2 is trying to solve multiple **important** issues that many industries are very concerned about.

[/quote]

[quote="facontidavide, post:83, topic:6155"]

But (and there is always a but), why cant we make **both** these communities happy?

[/quote]

My hope is that it would be possible, but my intuition is that one can't overstate how difficult it will be. Still, I would say it's *extremely unlikely* that one will satisfy (and leverage) all the relevant stakeholders if one doesn't first define who they are along with their abilities, needs, and constraints.

For instance, I don't even think that the aforementioned communities ("academia" and "industry") are the *only* two classes of stakeholder that we care about or even that each of those classes has a unified set of requirements.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/85) or reply to this email to respond.