[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Matt Hansen ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:57:43 UTC 2018

@TheDash - the issue is how many resources OSRF has to continue to put out releases for both. You're correct that if the community picks up the ROS1 work, then the problem is solved. OSRF could focus their resources on ROS2, and the community that still wants to use ROS1 could continue to do LTS releases themselves. That's a solution.

However, I haven't heard any of the community members to date step up and say "We'll take ownership from here, we'll do the Python2->Python3 port in 2020 and own delivering ROS releases from that point forward". If someone would step up and say that, then you're right, everyone would be happy.

Of course then there's also the issue of the package maintainers. For example, @pyo is the maintainer for Turtlebot3, and he may not have the resources to continue to deliver package updates for both indefinitely. So the community would have to pick up other key packages also.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/90) or reply to this email to respond.