[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Uuid-msgs porting to ROS2

Jacob Perron ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 05:46:58 UTC 2018

The plan is to use UUIDs as goal IDs in ROS2 actions. As a stopgap, we might implement (or find) some tools for working with UUIDs in C (since the core logic for actions will be in [rcl](https://github.com/ros2/rcl)). But, ultimately we'd like to port `uuid_msgs` as a core repo along with separate language specific libraries for working with UUIDs (ticket pending; last checkbox in [actions meta-ticket](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/issues/583))

For example, we might create a repo, **unique_identifier**, with the following packages:
- unique_identifier_c
- unique_identifier_cpp
- unique_identifier_python
- unique_identifier_msgs

Where the first three packages are ROS-agnostic libraries for working with UUIDs, and the last is essentially what uuid_msgs is now.

If we go forward with making uuid_msgs a core repo, it looks like we can fork from https://github.com/stonier/unique_identifier/tree/ros2.
@stonier (and others), what are your thoughts on replacing the unique_id package with language specific packages instead?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/uuid-msgs-porting-to-ros2/6424/5) or reply to this email to respond.