[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 pcl_perceptions

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:34:03 UTC 2018

[quote="LucidOne, post:16, topic:3596"]

While the filter nodelets work, chaining them can be problematic, particularly if a new point cloud arrives before the current one is finished being processed. Perhaps the ROS2 lifecycle could be used to start a new filter chain if, for example, the current cloud is taking longer than usual to ICP. Something similar to a worker/scheduler model.

[/quote]

Indeed one of the design elements for the executor based threading model in ROS2 is that we wanted to be able to support synchronous pipelines. To achieve that we'll need to develop a custom executor that's aware of the pipeline flow, but once that is configured it can synchronously call each element in the pipeline. This in combination with the unique pointer publishing API supporting [zero copy intraprocess message passing](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/Intra-Process-Communication) should be quite powerful.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-pcl-perceptions/3596/17) or reply to this email to respond.