[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

gerkey ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:17:25 UTC 2018

[quote="gbiggs, post:95, topic:6155, full:true"]
@gerkey Based on the rate of development so far and taking into account the large increase in development power that has become available over the last year or so, what do you see the state of ROS2 being in 4.5 years, when Melodic's support ends?
[/quote]

Are you asking me to do long-term software development estimation? :wink:

Everyone please save this post so that over the next few years you can periodically give me back exact quotes demonstrating what I've gotten wrong:

Given the current status and level of community contributions I expect that ROS 2 will be well-featured and very usable for a wide variety of applications long before Melodic goes EOL in 4.5 years. At some point between now and then we'll get to a situation in which any new robotics project that could be tackled with ROS 1 could just as well (and hopefully better) be done using ROS 2. By that time it will also be feasible to transition any existing ROS 1 system to ROS 2. And before then we'll see new systems written from scratch using ROS 2 that are deployed in products.

Of course, irrespective of the state of ROS 2 I expect that many many people will still be using ROS 1 in 4.5 years and even after, primarily because of a combination of familiarity and reliance on existing ROS 1 code.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/96) or reply to this email to respond.