[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS 2 documentation home moving to index.ros.org/doc/ros2

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:46:07 UTC 2018

We're happy to announce a new home for the main entry point for ROS 2 documentation at https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2

As many of you are surely aware for a while we've been hosting ROS 2 development documentation on a Github wiki under the ROS 2 organization, [github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki). This has been a temporary location out of convenience while we have been setting up new infrastructure to host it for the longer term. As we move on with the [efforts to improve ROS documentation](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-documentation/6475), we're now taking the step of moving the ROS 2 wiki to [index.ros.org/doc/ros2](https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2).

Unlike the wiki, which could be edited by anyone with a Github account, the new content can be edited by opening pull requests against the [ros2/ros2_documentation](https://github.com/ros2/ros2_documentation) repository. Another change is that the documentation is now using the [reStructuredText format](http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html) instead of markdown. Like with the rest of the ROS 2 development process this will help us improve the documentation by letting us have it go through the same type of review process that we’re applying for code changes.

The wiki links will continue existing, but they now display a notice to their new URLs, and we recommend that you update links within any external documentation you may be hosting.

As an aside, is a soft launch of the new ROS Index site. It is still a beta version under development at [ros-infrastructure/rosindex](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rosindex). It's built on the [rosindex](https://github.com/rosindex/rosindex) from [Jon Bohren](http://jbohren.com/) at [Honeybee Robotics](https://www.honeybeerobotics.com/) and although it’s a fork right now we hope to homogenize it in the future. If you're interested in contributing, there are several enhancements ticketed. At the moment content is expected to update nightly. As always, we welcome new issues and especially pull requests :smile:.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-documentation-home-moving-to-index-ros-org-doc-ros2/6612/1) or reply to this email to respond.