[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS graph information tools implementation discussion

Ross Desmond ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:00:01 UTC 2018

Hi all, I'd like to kick this thread back up.
## Problem:
We are only able to access all nodes and all topics/types.
No equivalent `rosnode info` exists for ROS2 and these daemon's are still not available.

## Goal
*Expose the node graph for gui and cli tools to show the user.*
Expose the following **per node** via rcl API:
* services
* subscriptions
* publications
* actions

## Solution
 Regardless of the daemon or on-demand approach to accessing node graph details, exposing the node graph through the rcl layer for tools to use would be advantageous to developers.

These interfaces will be fulfilled via the Simple Discovery Protocol, which uses well-defined unicast and multicast ports for each participant to listen to meta-traffic.

**Are there any objections to using SDP to discover the node graph?**

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-graph-information-tools-implementation-discussion/674/29) or reply to this email to respond.