[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Precision Agriculture Simulation with a Quadcopter in Gazebo

Tahsin Kose ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:23:48 UTC 2018

Greetings everyone,

For a while I was thinking to develop a project related to Agriculture. Because of the intense labor required during the fruit picking (it worsens at taller trees), I thought it would be good idea to develop an autonomous drone that finds and picks fruits with a small arm attached to its base (or to any convenient location). Since I can't afford the hardware currently, I consider simulation as a good start.

So, the software stack will roughly comprise:

* Exploration
* Tree/Fruit Detection
* Fruit Manipulation

I started with Gazebo simulator. Nevertheless, it is very difficult to find high resolution fruit trees on the web. I created my own tree with Blender, but it is far away from being realistic. So, I'm looking for any contribution on this subject.

There are a lot of things to tell about the project since I have done quite a work, but to cut it to the chase I'm giving the [link of the repository](https://github.com/tahsinkose/hector-moveit). Readme is a bit outdated, but it will be updated soon. I will try to post here about the project on a regular basis.

I'm looking for contributors on any part of the project. All the contributions are highly encouraged.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/precision-agriculture-simulation-with-a-quadcopter-in-gazebo/6025/1) or reply to this email to respond.