[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

gavanderhoorn ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:42:38 UTC 2018

[quote="bmagyar, post:3, topic:6155"]

Id prefer ROS releases transitioning towards ROS2 which of course assumes stable apis/concepts on that end. ROS2 IMHO is potentially facing the challenge of ha fling fragmented communities along the lines of OS-s.

[/quote]

There has been a lot of discussion about this in the past, and the sort-of consensus was (or at least the decision by OSRF) that from a development and maintenance perspective *and* a fear of breaking ROS1 for ppl currently using it, the only option was a clean slate (see also the end of [Why ROS 2.0?](http://design.ros2.org/articles/why_ros2.html)).

[quote="bmagyar, post:3, topic:6155"]

which of course assumes stable apis/concepts

[/quote]

Perhaps at a high level we could seek conceptual re-use / transitioning and [a shim](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros1-shim-library-development-proposal/5873) could help, but not sure whether what you're suggesting is practical (personally I'd like it too though).

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/4) or reply to this email to respond.