[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Discussion on ROS to ROS2 transition plan

Thibault Kruse ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:11:33 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018, 06:15 Matt Hansen via ros-users <[ros-users at lists.ros.org](mailto:ros-users at lists.ros.org)> wrote:

> I'd like to start a discussion on the ROS to ROS2 transition plan. I know there are **many** users of ROS today, and that ROS2 is not yet fully featured, but I believe we need a plan to get the community to transition on to ROS2 as soon as possible. I believe that ROS2 can and will be better than ROS in the long run, and the sooner we get the community support in getting it ready the better.

One alternative is for the ROS1 community to jointly refuse to migrate to ROS2, keeping current businesses and projects alive and well, with only the Python2 -> Python3 migration costs to pay. Instead of porting any package to ROS2, efforts could be spend on reducing the differences between ROS1 and ROS2 from both ends, to reduce the impact of the community split, and all costs of eventual full migration.

The longer ROS2 remains in it's unfinished 'non-beta' release, the more time remains to reduce the migration barrier without splitting the community. So 'the sooner, the better' is not necessarily economically true for the community.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-ros-to-ros2-transition-plan/6155/5) or reply to this email to respond.