[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Introducing the ROS 2 Technical Steering Committee

Thibault Kruse ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:45:43 UTC 2018

> The TSC doesnt have its own budget (members dont pay fees to join), so it relies on the members ability to direct their organizations resources to follow up on decisions and execute plans. For that reason we chose a contribution threshold that demonstrates a significant investment in the open source platform.

There are plenty of decisions the TSC can currently take which do not need a lot of resources and can severely hurt the non-commercial user base of ROS. I am not too good at making up examples, but here are some still:

* Change the license under which ROS is provided

* Drop support for Linux

* Drop support for free open-source DDS vendors

* Drop support of Python

* Stop publishing drivers for hardware from vendors not on the TSC

Maybe others can up with more realistic examples.

An simple majority alliance of e.g. Microsoft, Intel, Amazon in a single meeting of the TSC can make those decisions. And due to a loophole in the charter, those 3 could also by majority vote in such a meeting kick out all other TSC members.

The charter could afford OSRF something like a right to veto, to have a minimum protection of the interests on non TSC members as represented by OSRF (assuming good faith in OSRF for the sake of the argument).

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/introducing-the-ros-2-technical-steering-committee/6132/7) or reply to this email to respond.