[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Informal Meetings of Special Interest Groups
ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 16:19:55 UTC 2018
Notes from the Gazebo Interest Group, my apologies for any errors:
Andrew Symington @Andrew_Symington
Carlos Rosales Gallegos @carlosjoserg
Musa Morena Marcusso @musamarcusso
Ray Cole @raycoleiii
Plus many Open Robotics people
Gazebo not shutting down properly
* Fixed recently in 9.4.1
Sim of wheeled robots driving in mining tunnels, but the simulation is slow and he doesnt know why
* @mjcarroll: flamegraphs?
Had a problem with robot not falling after attaching robot arm with position controller
* This was fixed in gazebo9
* Workaround: use effort controller instead of position controller
How to learn more about gazebo_ros
* @azeey helped answer this
How to unthrottle simulation that could go faster than real-time
* real_time_update_rate parameter: modify in sdf world, gz tool or gui
* Set from GUI: http://gazebosim.org/tutorials?tut=modifying_world&cat=build_world#PhysicsProperties
* ARIAC example for setting in world fie: https://bitbucket.org/osrf/ariac/src/f1c62a19374baf5f12e137f9f7329355efb1c028/osrf_gear/worlds/gear.world.template?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default#gear.world.template-21
* From command-line: `gz physics -u 0`
Is the CreateLink function working? (written by @jrivero, not sure who asked this)
* Race conditions if one needs to be spawned before the other (such as a free-floating robot on a granite table, want them to be spawned dynamically so they can be written in urdf)
* There is a spawn_model service in gazebo_ros, but it returns too fast
* Shane discussed a special xml tag to insert an SDF
* The spawn_model service should use quaternions instead of roll-pitch-yaw
While running lots of simulations, sometimes the simulation fails with a GLX-related error
* If its just gzserver and it doesnt use rendering, these errors can be avoided by disabling rendering in gzserver (it will also speed it up slightly) by using a bad DISPLAY variable or running inside a docker container that doesnt have nvidia-docker enabled
* There are lots of existing models on sketchfab, often in FBX format. Bosch is interested in being able to parse FBX models.
* Ian has worked on this, but its proprietary and complicated. We may come back to it if there is sufficient interest and support.
* Current workflow is to bake lots of textures into a single mesh, but its hard to export from blender.
* Is the sea-floor like a DEM? There are some performance advantages to using DEMs.
* Underwater plumes are visualized in RVIZ with markers, but want to visualize in gzclient too. Is it possible?
* Its easier with markers. (I didnt get all of Louises answer here)
* Some sequence of moving camera and then follow an object caused camera to go a bit crazy
* Some people need to use Z-down, so its hard to make the camera point upside down. Andrew Symington would like to turn off the camera auto-flip
* Would like to make lots of different environments with variations in which models are present, where they are located, etc. Current approach is a script that prints out different versions of world files.
* Embedded scripting inside a world file was pretty useful in the Space Robotics Challenge for randomizing the world. It uses embedded ruby with snippets
* Template: https://bitbucket.org/osrf/srcsim/src/default/worlds/unique.world.erb
* Instance: https://bitbucket.org/osrf/srcsim/src/default/worlds/unique.world
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-informal-meetings-of-special-interest-groups/6151/20) or reply to this email to respond.
More information about the ros-users