[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Jobs] Clearpath - Autonomy Engineer- Controls - Kitchener ON CANADA
Kou Lee via Discourse.ros.org
ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 02:09:09 UTC 2019
To apply visit our careers page at https://ottomotors.com/careers
Position: Autonomy Engineer- Controls
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 1-5 years relevant work experience
Education: Graduate Degree in a related field
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the worlds most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the companys industrial and research divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO Motors.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high cool factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
We require high-fidelity dynamic models, robust control, and reliable state estimation. We're constantly building robots, but want to bring their performance to the next level. We need an Autonomy Engineer to improve our current vehicle models & controllers and develop brand new ones for the robots we've got on the drawing board. Can you get behind that?
You will stay on top of recent developments in the control and modeling of self-driving robots. This includes evaluating such developments to determine if they can improve the performance of our standard model lines and custom products. Additionally, you will improve our existing models by spending warm summer days driving robots around outside (cold winters too; this is Canada after all). Finally, you will develop theoretical models of prototypes to assist the hardware design team in the design process.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
* Controls development for self-driving robots
* State estimator development for same
* Software development as necessary
* Sensor sourcing & integration
Additional tasks may include:
* Developing & carrying out system test plans
* Mentoring and assisting with supervision of interns
* Explaining our newest shiny toys to the sales & marketing team
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
Required Technical Skills:
* Graduate degree in engineering or a related field, with applicable background
* Practical knowledge of state estimation, control, mapping, modeling, and estimation techniques
* Strong software development skills (C, C++, Python preferred)
* Proficiency with Linux
* Hands-on experience with autonomous systems
Desired Soft Skills:
* Ability to efficiently and clearly communicate ideas, including to those who may have a limited theoretical background in the area
* Ability to reliably plan and estimate development time requirements
* Comfortable with abrupt changes to project deadlines, job responsibilities and the local gravity field
Bonus points for:
* ROS, MATLAB, LabVIEW experience
* Understanding of sensors and their error models, particularly laser rangefinders, GPS systems, and vision systems
* Experience with the control of skid-steer and differential drive ground vehicles
* Ability to perform general hands-on troubleshooting of electromechanical systems
* Familiarity with SLAM, nonholonomic path planning, multi-vehicle coordination
* Experience with the dynamics of small surface vessels
* Familiarity with the control of manipulator arms
* Ability to diagnose broken robots by their sounds and smells
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/clearpath-autonomy-engineer-controls-kitchener-on-canada/7775/1) or reply to this email to respond.
More information about the ros-users