[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROS2 vs ROS1 ? Or more like ROS2 + ROS1?

William Woodall via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:25:37 UTC 2019

[quote="maximosipov, post:7, topic:7319"]

It would be nice to make ament_cmake & Co available for ROS1 projects. The reason is the complexity of ROS2 porting - splitting the process into a few well-isolated steps (colcon, ament_xxx, code, ) would greatly simplify porting large projects with multiple contributors.

[/quote]

I suggested the same rationale, as I wanted to use `ament_cmake` in ROS 1 to better share some of the rviz code between ROS 1 and ROS 2, but I think we just didn't have time to do it.

One other option was to use pure cmake code when sharing a package between ROS versions, because it is supported in both, but obviously that's not a very attractive solution at scale, as you loose all the benefits of catkin and/or ament.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-vs-ros1-or-more-like-ros2-ros1/7319/8) or reply to this email to respond.