[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] An instantaneous chat platform for the ROS community

gerkey via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 00:54:24 UTC 2019

We did discuss this topic in our most recent ROS 2 TSC meeting. The forthcoming minutes from that meeting have more details, but I would summarize the consensus as a combination of the following:

* What we do now isn't perfect but seems to work OK. Perhaps we should focus on being more explicit early and often in communicating about designs for new features. We can do this using existing tools.
* Let's not introduce a new chat tool as an official comms channel because nobody needs yet another thing to check.
* However,  there's value in migrating certain technical / design discussions to a chat system on demand. For that purpose, it's not clear which is the best choice; for all its failings IRC still gets the job done in many situations.
* There could be value in doing a regular call, perhaps called "office hours", in which the core dev team communicates to whomever's listening about what's currently going on in the project, and then takes questions from folks. It would *not* be a forum for collecting TODOs for the core dev team. The Cartographer Open House was offered as a model to follow.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/an-instantaneous-chat-platform-for-the-ros-community/7794/23) or reply to this email to respond.