[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt!] Announcing the MoveIt 2 Port
Dave Coleman via Discourse.ros.org
ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 21:33:57 UTC 2019
Exciting news -- the MoveIt! port to ROS 2.0 has begun! We are happy to announce that [Acutronic Robotics](https://acutronicrobotics.com/) is partnering with [PickNik](https://picknik.ai/) to sponsor a MoveIt! codesprint to begin the port to ROS 2.
Acutronic Robotics has agreed to allocate their internal resources. Two engineers for 4 months of engineering time will begin the port of MoveIt! along with funding technical support from PickNik.
This collaborative effort is a natural co-development due to Acutronic's extensive experience working with ROS 2 and PickNik's lead maintenance support of MoveIt!. Acutronic Robotics will be focused on porting the code to enable their [MARA](https://acutronicrobotics.com/products/mara/) modular robotic arm in the MoveIt! ecosystem. The entire MoveIt2 port will be a large undertaking and we expect other organizations will co-sponsor in the near future. We welcome others to contribute to this effort as much as possible.
The MoveIt! migration is important for a numbers of reasons, a key one being that it will accelerate ROS 2 adoption. Many companies and R&D teams report they are waiting to migrate to ROS 2 once MoveIt 2 is ready. This was similarly true when ROS Kinetic was released; months later when MoveIt! was ready for Kinetic, adoption picked up dramatically.
Some key objectives and approaches of this development include:
* Basic migration to the colcon build system, DDS-based middleware, and other new ROS2 tools
* Strategic planning of migration roadmap and release strategy of the MoveIt 2.0 port
* Involving MoveIt! community throughout the development process
* Focusing on best approaches to keep the ROS 1 project synchronized with the ROS 2 fork during the transitional period
* Quality control through extensive code reviews to ensure best practices and MoveIt!'s style guidelines are followed
* Documenting changes in MoveIt! on ROS 2
* Releasing the basic form of native MoveIt! support in ROS 2.0
We would like to thank [Acutronic Robotics](https://acutronicrobotics.com/) for agreeing to sponsor this code sprint and would like to highlight their modular robotic arm, MARA, the first modular cobot.
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/announcing-the-moveit-2-port/8051/1) or reply to this email to respond.
More information about the ros-users