[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Quality Assurance] sudo usage in rosdistro packages

Martin Günther via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:13:04 UTC 2019

[quote="miguelprada, post:6, topic:7188"]
Just wanted to point out [this answer ](https://answers.ros.org/question/133966/install-directly-to-etcudevrulesd/?answer=212041#post-id-212041) by Mike Purvis about how udev rules may/should be installed by packages.
[/quote]

Nice, I didn't know about that!

[quote]
Not sure this directly translates to packages being built/installed locally, though.
[/quote]

When installing a package from source, the udev rules have to be installed manually. It turns out that `kobuki_ftdi` uses the technique you mentioned above to install the udev rules from the binary package, and the `create_udev_rules` script is provided for users that build from source.

To come back to the original question by @andersfischer: I would label `sudo` in scripts as a warning, not an error. There are instances where `sudo` inside a script would be very bad (e.g., when that script is executed from the CMakeLists), and I can't think of a case where it cannot be avoided, but in some instances it's relatively harmless.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/sudo-usage-in-rosdistro-packages/7188/7) or reply to this email to respond.