[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Is there any DDS implementation using shared memory inside system?

Geoffrey Biggs via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 00:41:35 UTC 2019

A question like this is better for answers.ros.org, but I'll give you a quick answer here.

- The RTI Connext DDS implementation definitely has the ability to use shared memory for DDS clients running on the same computing node, and as I recall will do so automatically. However, it will still marshal data because it needs to do so for many of the features of Connext DDS, such as logging and introspection.
- eProsima's FastRTPS apparently does not use shared memory yet but [it is on their roadmap](https://github.com/eProsima/Fast-RTPS/issues/312).
- OpenSplice DDS does use shared memory internally. I don't know if this implementation marshals data for shared memory.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/is-there-any-dds-implementation-using-shared-memory-inside-system/7609/2) or reply to this email to respond.