[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Rosdep and EOL distros

Dirk Thomas via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:34:33 UTC 2019

**TL;DR** if you are using an EOL ROS distribution you will from now on need to pass the option `--include-eol-distros` to `rosdep update`.

---

The tool `rosdep` uses `.yaml` files which define the mapping of rosdep keys to system packages as well as enumerate all ROS packages for each ROS distribution.

Until recently when calling `rosdep update` to fetch the latest information the tool was fetching a `.yaml` file for every ROS distribution since `groovy`. Since the number of ROS distributions is continuously increasing the time it takes to fetch these files was increasing to. With the roll out of [REP 153](http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0153.html) we finally have meta information about each ROS distribution and know which ones are *end-of-life*. With that knowledge newer versions of rosdep (as of 0.14.0) won't by default fetch information for EOLed ROS distributions anymore.

I you happen to still use an EOL ROS distro and want to keep using `rosdep` you can invoke it with the new option `--include-eol-distros` to keep fetching information about all ROS distributions.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosdep-and-eol-distros/7640/1) or reply to this email to respond.