[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Site Feedback] How to propose a new Local User Group

Tully Foote via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 21:49:56 UTC 2019

This post is designed to capture our process for creating a new Local User Group category.

It is designed to be a concise summary of the approach developed in [this thread](https://discourse.ros.org/t/local-user-group-category-with-sub-categories/2019) as well as more recent proposals.

## Goals

We would like to support the creation of local user groups including supporting local languages. It can provide a central place for communities to grow and be discovered.

However to keep these communities welcoming we need to make sure that we have critical mass and that they will be active and responsive to new activity. Talking into an inactive group is also quite impending.

## Process

If you are interested in creating a new Local Users Group please follow the following steps:

* Write a proposal to the [Site Feedback Category](https://discourse.ros.org/c/site-feedback)
  It should include:
  * The name of the group
  * The language of preference
  * A blurb to add to the About page welcoming users and providing scop.
* Circulate the proposal to your local community and have people publicly reply to express interest in participating and leading discussions in the category though adding supportive comments on the thread we can create it.

If there's not yet critical mass of people we encourage you to create threads on the generic Local User Group category in the mean time.

## Cleanup

If we end up with groups that are inactive for a long time we many come through and collapse the group's postings into the main Local User Group postings.

## Some Past Examples

https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-brazil-user-group-creation/4592
https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-china-user-group-creation/4956

---