[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt!] Announcing the MoveIt 2 Port

Geoffrey Biggs via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 22:48:04 UTC 2019

Alas, beginner MoveIt users are more likely to be put off by cutting-edge stuff! But thanks for the pointers. It looks like there will be a usable release in time for one larger tutorial I'm going to be running.

Looking at the roadmap, I noticed that aside from reorganising the source, most of it is focused on "port X to ROS 2". There isn't much about taking advantage of the new features of ROS 2 or fixing any problems with the existing MoveIt design. By contrast, the navigation group has taken a from-scratch approach to allow them to fix problems and to take advantage of architectural features that ROS 2 enables. Do you plan to do this work later in the timeline?

I also noticed the item to make "ROS 2 nodelets". Nodelets don't exist in ROS 2, but nodes that can be structured as components (i.e. no main function by default) do. Maybe it's just terminology but it helps to use the right words when doing searches.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/announcing-the-moveit-2-port/8051/5) or reply to this email to respond.