[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] GSoC and the fate of OpenEmbedded

Víctor Mayoral Vilches via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:18:02 UTC 2019

[quote="braineniac, post:3, topic:8149"]
have already experimented with meta layers from jumpnowtek and meta-ros(to generate a beaglebone and raspberry image with ROS). I find it kind of weird that its still on indigo.
[/quote]

Maintainers simply may not have enough time to contribute. Most of them work full-time for projects. Updating this is probably a fantastic way to demonstrate your experience with OpenEmbedded ;) (it always helps for the application, it did in my case!)

[quote="braineniac, post:3, topic:8149"]
Also was there any work done on integrating rmw-microxrcedds from @BorjaOuterelo? Putting ROS on microcontrollers and sbcs should kinda be the point of OpenEmbedded.
[/quote]

That's wrong. The point of OpenEmbedded isn't that one. Moreover this was attempted in the past and you'd find that getting a fully fledged DDS implementation running in a microcontroller is somewhat complicated and not really useful. That's what the micro-ROS project is for which builds on top of previous experiences.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gsoc-and-the-fate-of-openembedded/8149/4) or reply to this email to respond.