[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] Best Practice for using RobotStudio with Git and ROS

Ryan DelGizzi via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:34:33 UTC 2019

Most ROS development uses git as the Version Control System (VCS) of choice.  There are well-established guidelines for developing typical ROS applications with git.  However, I have not been able to find any with regard to the development of ABB robotics systems using robot studio.

Source code control, as we know it, does not seem to be standard practice in the industrial automation world.  Traditional methods of full backing up the full system with a version or timestamps seem more common.

I suspect that I will need to develop custom RAPID scripts in addition to the provided [abb driver](https://github.com/ros-industrial/abb/tree/indigo-devel/abb_driver).  There are also system params and other configuration that might be useful to store in git.

Is the above repo the recommended way?  Manage rapid files in git and then copy and paste those in and out of the git repo to the robotstudio/robot.  Are there any best development practices for controlling industrial robotic code? Or any other example github repositories that demonstrate how to organize robotic code?

Thanks!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/best-practice-for-using-robotstudio-with-git-and-ros/8155/1) or reply to this email to respond.