[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] ABB ROS Server controlling IRB6400R through S4C Controller

gavanderhoorn via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 09:54:37 UTC 2019

I'm not aware of anyone using the current driver on anything but an IRC5, but it's also not very complicated code, so it might be possible. There is the current assumption that network sockets can be used, so that would seem to be a "hard requirement" right now.

As to downloading vs streaming: the ABB driver currently uses downloading as it was assumed -- at the time it was written -- that the streaming approach would result in worse performance. That may not be true, so it'd be good to see whether the streaming approach can also be implemented.

I would not limit this question to S4C controllers specifically, although I can understand why you would -- seeing as you have one.

It might be nice to see whether there are some streaming approaches available somewhere -- anywhere, doesn't need to be ROS-specific. If there are, we could either adopt or adapt them.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/abb-ros-server-controlling-irb6400r-through-s4c-controller/8184/2) or reply to this email to respond.