[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS-Industrial] Best Practice for using RobotStudio with Git and ROS

jontje via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 12:00:29 UTC 2019

The following is my preferred way of developing applications, that are meant to be shared with others, for ABB IRC5 robot controllers.

I usually create [RobotWare Add-Ins](http://developercenter.robotstudio.com/blobproxy/devcenter/RobotStudio/html/524b24df-3d07-4308-91c5-f0c40f7b1b2c.htm#!) and they allow you to cover several aspects via a single component, including:
1. RAPID modules.
2. System configurations.
3. Installation scripts for customizing how and which RAPID modules and system configurations are loaded. Can for example depend on if a specific RobotWare option is present in the system or not.
4. Specifying dependencies on certain RobotWare options/robots.
5. Specifying conflicts with certain RobotWare options/robots.
6. Specifying sub options for the Add-In (can be considered in the installation script).
7. Specifying if the Add-In is open or if it requires a license.
8. Simplifying distribution and installation.
9. Documentation.

ABB Robotics provides a tool called [Add-In Packing Tool](https://new.abb.com/products/robotics/robotstudio/downloads) for creating such Add-Ins, and it creates project folders which can for example be put in a git repository if you want.

In my opinion, then the main benefits of these Add-Ins are that they simplify the distribution and installation process, as well as that they give you control of how and what is installed in the robot controller system. The biggest drawback is that it might take some time to get used to working with them.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/best-practice-for-using-robotstudio-with-git-and-ros/8155/2) or reply to this email to respond.