[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Splitting the Autoware.AI repository and changing the organisation

Ian Colwell via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 18:53:44 UTC 2019

I agree with @davetcoleman in terms of not over-doing it with the splitting, and still requiring CI for the entire project compiled together (although the combined CI could happen much less often). Here's my suggestion:

- **core**: all perception, planning, and control code divided by a subfolder for each category. Another subfolder could also contain the custom message packages. I think visualization should also go somewhere here but would be divided into separate ros packages/nodes dedicated to viz.

- **vehicle_platform/drivers**: Any drivers or low-level stuff that is specific to the default autoware vehicle setup. Users with their own vehicle setups (maybe they have slightly different sensors or a different vehicle requiring different control tuning configs) could fork this repo and modify to their own needs.

- **utilities**: Same as originally suggested.

If the core repo truly needs to be divided further, then I suppose you could git submodule out the 3 main categories. Then any submodule updates are tested in CI along with the current state of the rest of the project. Any changes that need to be made to both perception and planning at the same time can be managed by a single PR that updates both submodules to compatible versions.

I think the bigger problem is managing the amount of packages. I understand there is an effort to reduce the amount of packages, I still need to look into that further. Anyway, my current (although brief) impression of autoware is that a lot of the smaller packages could be absorbed by larger ones. Having functionality grouped together into larger packages/nodes would also help the overall system latency by reducing the amount of ROS message passing required to get the final control commands out.

@gbiggs I think you missed my question earlier about vcs, still curious about it:

> **Regarding vcs** :

> I dont know anything about vcs (first time hearing about it here), but why are we choosing vcs over git submodules?

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/splitting-the-autoware-ai-repository-and-changing-the-organisation/8139/24) or reply to this email to respond.