[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Splitting the Autoware.AI repository and changing the organisation

Geoffrey Biggs via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 03:29:18 UTC 2019

Here is the current proposal for repositories. I will update it as the discussion progresses.

- **autoware**
  Root repository. Contains a README file, the `.repos` file for checking out/installing Autoware
  using `vcs` (which will be the preferred method from 1.12), and nothing else.
- **core_perception**
  Core packages related to understanding the world around the car.
- **core_planning**
  Core packages related to planning where the vehicle should go.
- **core_control**
  Core packages related to controlling the vehicle so that it goes where it should.
- **messages**
  Contains the messages that are unique to Autoware.
  (Alternative name: `interfaces`; but `messages` is more in keeping with existing ROS terminology.)
- **drivers**
  Hardware drivers for interacting with hardware, such as the Velodyne driver. Ideally, all
  packages in here will be candidates for eventually being pushed upstream somewhere.
- **utilities**
  Packages that we develop that are not core to Autoware, i.e. you do not need them to drive a
  vehicle.
- **visualisation**
  Packages dealing with visualising sensor data, the state of the car, etc.
- **simulation**
  Connections to simulators, simulator-based integration tests, etc.

Speak up if you see something missing.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/splitting-the-autoware-ai-repository-and-changing-the-organisation/8139/32) or reply to this email to respond.