[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware/Autoware Simulator Project] Simulation software requirements

Dmitry Zelenkovsky via Discourse.ros.org ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:03:31 UTC 2019

If we are going down the path discussing licensing issue, let's at least get on the same page with definitions: Open-Source != Free (free as a freedom, not as a free beer). Here is an article about that matter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Free_Software_Definition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Free_Software_Definition

@esteve Again Epic charges 5% from ALL gross revenues produced by products built with Unreal:

Example:

* You sell Autoware to customer and include CARLA Simulation DEMO to prove it works.
   You need to pay 5% from the whole amount of the deal
* You run Autoware and CARLA Simulator demo in the cloud and charge customers for getting access to Simulator.
   You need to pay 5% from the whole amount you are charging

Please read all the details below. Even if CARLA source code is MIT, CARLA can't control usage of the simulator, it is very much restricted by Unreal Terms.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq
> Generally, you are obligated to pay to Epic 5% of all gross revenue after the first $3,000 per game or  application per calendar quarter, regardless of what company collects the revenue. For example, if your product earns $10 from sales on the App Store, the royalty due is $0.50 (5% of $10), even though you would receive roughly $7 from Apple after they deduct their distribution fee of roughly $3 (30% of $10).
Royalty payments are due 45 days after the close of each calendar quarter. Along with the payment, you must send a royalty report on a per-product basis. For more information, [see here](https://www.unrealengine.com/release).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/simulation-software-requirements/7735/19) or reply to this email to respond.