Author: Armin Hornung
To: ros-users
Subject: Re: [ros-users] $PYTHONPATH in launch files
Hi all,

> Wait... what part of this env variable is portable?
>
> <env name="PYTHONPATH"

value="/home/advait/svn/robot1/src/libraries:/home/advait/svn/robot1/src/libraries/katana:/home/advait/ros/ros/core/roslib/src:/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages"
> />
>
> If your user name changes on the remote machine, wouldn't your launch
> file stop working? It seems that the remote machine's $PYTHONPATH
> would be more likely to know where all its libraries are than a
> .launch file, right?

I agree with Hai on this, Advait's example (unintentionally?) shows that
this does not really help making launch files more portable, but less.
Re-specifying the PYTHONPATH in the launch file might work as a
workaround for the current behavior, but this would need to be done with
a launch file specific for every machine or ros installation path.

What do the ROS developers think on this? Making use of my newly-created
trac-account, I just created a ticket for this ;)

https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2735

Cheers,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung                              Albert-Ludwigs-Universität
www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga   Dept. of Computer Science