Author: Ruben Smits
To: ros-users
Subject: Re: [ros-users] C++ versus Python in ROS
On Monday 19 July 2010 19:56:17 Stuart Glaser wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Here are some thoughts:
> > 1- What justifies using Python in ROS?
>
> Same reasons for selecting Python or C++ in any other situation. In
> general, Python can be faster for getting something working, but C++
> is necessary for heavy lifting. Whenever possible I use Python, but
> if the problem requires more speed than Python can provide I switch to
> C++.
>
> Python is an excellent language. Go learn it.
>
> > 2- Are the majority of tutorials in Python or C++?
>
> It's mixed. Many tutorials are in both languages.
>
> > 3- I notice that if one wants to use an IDE, Eclipse and Code:Blocks are
> > suggested in the ROS wiki along with how to create an ROS package in
> > Code:Blocks......but I see nothing like this for Python......what is a
> > suggested IDE for Python?
>
> I assume both Eclipse and Code:Blocks work for Python too.
>
> > 4- Looking towards future robot-building tools integration, does Python
> > support possibilities of using ROS+Orocos+OpenCV+Gazebo......C++ can be
> > used with Orocos, but can Python?
>
> The Orocos folks would know about using Python and Orocos together.

Orocos RTT is all c++ but,

* with the orocos rtt corba plugin and python-omniorb we have been able to
connect Orocos components with python scripts (mainly used to connect with
Blender)

* with the orocos ros integration work you will be able to connect to an
orocos component as you could to any other ros node, both in C++ and python

Ruben