Author: Josh Faust
To: ros-users
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Linker --as-needed

> Happy to hear that it works in general (would be pretty bad if it
> didn't...). I'm more concerned about whether we're currently
> specifying everything completely, or unknowingly exploiting
> overlinkage.
>
> I guess the only way to find out is to build and test everything with
> that option included.

I just did two quick tests:
1) .so that overrides a global symbol (strstr in this case)
2) .so with a global object that has a constructor/destructor

#1 worked, #2 failed (the .so was removed).

If #1 failed I'd say we can't default to it. Not sure how important #2 is,
but it's something that could definitely cause problems that would be
difficult to track down.

Josh