Author: Tully Foote
To: ros-users
Subject: Re: [ros-users] amd64 debian rosinstall error: No module named rosinstall.helpers
Mark,
That error comes from using the new version of rosinstall which requires
it's libraries to be in your package path, it can't be just copied in as a
script. The old version was just a script, you can find it here
https://code.ros.org/svn/ros/installers/trunk/rosinstall/rosinstall

The other suggestion I have is that you download the tar.gz of rosinstall
and manually install it from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/rosinstall if
easy_install is still not working.

If you have python-defaults/2.6.5-11 or newer easy_install should be working
now according to the ticket

Tully