Author: User discussions
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] Clearing cells in Costmap2DROS
Hi,

I am testing move_base with sensor data from our stereo vision sensor.
Thus, I have a PointCloud as observation source for the costmap. I
want to use the parameters ~<name>/max_obstacle_height (=0.7) and
~<name>/<source_name>/min_obstacle_height (=0.05) to mark the
appropriate obstacles in the costmap - assuming that the costmap
considers values smaller than min_obstacle_height as ground (= free
space).

This seems to work for a static environment generally. But as soon as
e.g. somebody walks through the picture, his trace is marked as
obstacle cells. After the person leaves the picture I would expect the
costmap to clear these cells, because the corresponding "z"-values
from the point cloud are less than min_obstacle_height. Instead the
cost map obviously ignores values smaller than min_obstacle_height.

Is there any way to use the values smaller than min_obstacle_height to
clear the former obstacle cells?

Regards,
Sabrina