Author: Radu Bogdan Rusu
CC: ros-users@code.ros.org
Subject: [ros-users] release vs relwithdebinfo
Hi all,

This question is mainly for our ROS PCL users, as that's the only forum where we provide binaries for PCL (via DEB
packages)...

We did some tests yesterday and we discovered that in its default "RelWithDebInfo" configuration, the perception_pcl
stack libraries occupy around 300MB, due to the explicit template instantiations that we do there. (More on how to
improve this for 2.0 later.) However, when changed to "Release", the entire think dropped to 30MB or so.

Right now we have no way to change between the two modes while we build the debian packages (we could create a ticket
for that if we feel it's necessary), so we have to select one or the other.

Do folks here have any preferences? If you're doing development, and you're missing out on debug information, it might
be hard to trace bugs. And PCL can be buggy -- "stable" means the API is locked, not that we solved all our bugs :)

However, is the archive size is important, and you would like to apt-get install less stuff, going to Release will
shrink down the files by an order of magnitude.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks,
Radu.
--