Author: Jim Patek
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] ROS and RoBoard
I have been trying to get ROS installed on one of my RoBoards (Vortrx86
based SBC, www.roboard.com) similarly to Taylor Veltrop. I ran into a
few difficulties and while fixing them have created a new install of
Ubuntu on the RoBoard. As I was tinkering with this, I ended up
building a light fast install based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server with the
newest Vortex86 kernel installed. I put X on it and installed Awesome
window manager (very small, light and can be run with or w/o a mouse).
I have ROS Diamondback installed (and working) and the RoBoIO v1.7
library compiled and installed as a Shared Library (RoBoIO.so). Works
like a champ ... low memory and processor load and is only 2.75 GB on an
8 GB partition. I have made a CloneZilla image of it and thought if
anyone was interested I would post it on my server for download. With
CloneZilla it is very easy to install to the RoBoard with a 2 GB USB
stick (the image is 1.1 GB). You just install CloneZilla to to the USB
stick, copy the image to the /home/partimg directory, boot on the USB
and follow the instructions. The image is for an 8 GB disk, so you will
need at least an 8 GB microSD card.

Jim