Author: Ken Conley
To: Jack O'Quin
CC: ros-release
Subject: Re: [Ros-release] ROS Fuerte Freeze Schedule Update
On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Jack O'Quin <> wrote:
> Is there a page listing all the Python scripts I need to work with the
> new fuerte build?

rosinstall was missing from the 'known issues' section of the
migration guide, so I have added it:

http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Migration

If you look at the 'stack-fixing quickstart', it describes the full
workflow we have used internally to work with fuerte. We have been
using the "rosco" tool instead of "rosinstall", which is why we (I)
forgot to add it to the migration guide. Tully is nearly complete
with the new version of rosinstall to fully support fuerte.

> I am burning much time finding and fixing them one at a time. Right
> now I am looking for `rosmake` so `rosinstall` can complete
> successfully.
>
> I also encountered the following pitfall:
>
>  * install unstable
>  * source /opt/ros/unstable/setup.bash
>  * install fuerte
>  * source /opt/ros/fuerte/setup.bash
>  * which rosdep
>   /opt/ros/unstable/ros/bin/rosdep
>
> The problem is that /opt/ros/unstable/ros/bin is still part of $PATH
> and ahead of /usr/local/bin.

That's an interesting/good report. I'm not sure what to do about that
one. rosdep is being migrated to be like rosinstall, i.e. external to
any particular distribution. This path issue is going to cause a
headache that I'm not sure how to fix it. At the heart of it is how
setup.sh scripts should set *PATH variables that are ROS-independent
(PATH, PYTHONPATH).

- Ken