Author: Vincent Rabaud
Subject: [ros-release] solving new platform/architecture release problems
Hi all,

I personally have packages that do not build for Kinetic because:
- couchdb was not released for Jessie
- there is not libopenni-dev on ARM

I am sure there are other cases (coladadom no ?) and more valid cases will
pop-up: what if you want to re-package a driver that is binary and x86 only
? what if you have intrinsics that are x86 only ? what if Debian uses
different packages than Ubuntu ? (like libav and ffmpeg I believe).

While we could disable the jobs one by one maybe in the short run, we want
something that's manageable by maintainers for more flexibility.

I propose the following:
- an extension to
http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0140.html#architecture-independent to support
an architecture tag. Not sure if we need something as specific as armv7 or
armv8 or just use arm but we need some official list (gcc's ?
https://gcc.gnu.org/backends.html , Debian's ?
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en )
- a re-use of release_platforms (from
http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0141.html#distribution-file) in yet another
package.xml tag to prevent the build for some platforms.

E.g: I just want to build for x86 Jessie:

<architecture>i386</architecture>
<architecture>amd64</architecture>
<platform>jessie</platform>

Or maybe have exclusion tags:
<architecture_exclude>arm</architecture_exclude>
<platform>ubuntu</platform>

Ideas ? Thx.