Author: Kyler Laird via ros-users
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Thanks for the help, xqms! I'll try to respond to your points in order...

One of the best parts about my new kill switch system is that I can program it. Yes, I originally made it so that there was a heartbeat and if the switch was hit, the heartbeat stopped and the tractor was killed. I switched away from that to only transmit a kill signal for a couple reasons. The main one is that I wanted to save the battery. I don't know how long it'll last if I'm transmitting all of the time but I sure don't want to run out of battery at the end of a day and be tempted to bypass the kill switch. I also plan to have several kill switches operating several robots which could be miles apart. I want kill switches to be able to move in and out of range without killing tractors. I do consider having one heartbeat switch that stays in the field with the tractor (and is connected to a power source like the command center) and then have other switches that send signals only when activated. I like keeping it simple for now, though.

I do not use a localization filter. I work directly from the GNSS data, which is plenty accurate for me. I would love to fuse an IMU, though, so I can get higher refresh rates and lower latency. Yes, "direct tf transforms" sounds like my current need.

Yes, I get course and pitch from the receivers.  Here's the data I get about the base line to the second antenna:
1.     Latitude-projection of base-line, m
2.     Longitude-projection of base-line, m
3.     Height-projection of base-line, m
4.     Base-line length (Rover-to-Base distance), m
5.     Base-line course (angle between base-line vector and North direction), degrees
6.     Base-line pitch (angle between base-line vector and horizontal), degrees

Right now I'm using nvector for all of my calculations. I think about switching to UTM but I'm a little concerned about conversion errors, especially in fields which are over a mile in one dimension. I suppose that if I calculate my lines in nvector and then convert them to UTM, I should be OK.

Alright, modeling the robot in URDF seems to be the place to start. I've tried it a few times and not gotten far. I'm sure it's something I can do. I will give it a shot.

The next steps overwhelm me right now. Good to know I'm on the right path, though.

Thank you!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/13) or reply to this email to respond.