[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [robot description formats] …

Forside
Vedhæftede filer:
Indlæg som e-mail
+ (text/plain)
Slet denne besked
Besvar denne besked
Skribent: Garrett Johnson via ros-users
Til: ros-users
CC: Garrett Johnson
Emne: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [robot description formats] Support the PLY geometry format in URDF

Sounds reasonable. I'm less familiar with the ROS codebase, myself, but I've noticed some references to [assimp](https://github.com/assimp/assimp) around the ROS repos, and [this issue](https://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet3/issues/1156) (in the bullet physics repo?) has discussions around gazebo using assimp to load models, as well.

If that's true, then this may be as simple as extending the spec to include another model format. I'd almost suggest just allowing anything that assimp can load (if it's actually that easy), but I actually like the constrained list of formats because that makes it easier to consume the format on other platforms (we're visualizing these models using THREE.js and javascript, as well). To me, all that's missing is a simple to export, terse, binary geometry format.

Thanks!
Garrett

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/support-the-ply-geometry-format-in-urdf/4325/3) or reply to this email to respond.