[Ros-release] OpenCV and Broken Electric Debs

Chad Rockey chadrockey at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 01:54:24 UTC 2011

Hi everyone, it looks like something has broken the live debian releases.

Upon accepting updates (confirmed on Lucid 32 bit),
ros-electric-vision-opencv is removed (and all packages that depend on
this).  If attempting to re-install, you receive the error:

"sudo apt-get install ros-electric-vision-opencv
or been moved out of Incoming.

  ros-electric-vision-opencv: Depends: libopencv2.3-dev (=
2.3.1+svn6514+branch23-8~lucid) but 2.3.1+svn6514+branch23-6~lucid is to be
installed
E: Broken packages"

There appear to be several ROS answers related to this and a failed OpenCV
release related to SSE optimization:
http://answers.ros.org/question/2787/illegal-instruction
http://answers.ros.org/question/2839/illegal-instruction-when-using-image_view-with
http://answers.ros.org/question/2882/about-compiling-opencv-programs-outside-ros

And another related to broken installations and the specific OpenCV release:
http://answers.ros.org/question/2881/unmet-dependencies-in-ros-electric-desktop-full

To make matters worse, the debbuild status page is currently 503
unavailable, so I'm not sure if someone is fixing things or if that's an
unrelated problem, but I don't see anything on Hudson that looks like it's
building a fix.
http://www.ros.org/debbuild/electric.html
http://build.willowgarage.com/

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this situation.

Thanks,
 - Chad