[Ros-release] OpenCV and Broken Electric Debs

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Sun Nov 13 11:42:19 UTC 2011

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the heads up.  We did identify an issue in the SSE acceleration
as mentioned in many of those questions.  We rereleased opencv with fewer
patches.  The new binary got into our build pipeline but not into the
public facing repo.  I just resynced the repos and I think it should be ok
now.

I don't know what's up with the debbuild status page.  I'll look into that
on Monday.  In the mean time, if you're curious you can generate a local
copy of the debbuild report with the following command assuming you
checkout the ros_release stack.

rosrun rosdeb list_missing.py electric --allhtml -o electric.html

If there's still a problem with installations please let us know,
Tully

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Chad Rockey <chadrockey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, it looks like something has broken the live debian releases.
>
> Upon accepting updates (confirmed on Lucid 32 bit),
> ros-electric-vision-opencv is removed (and all packages that depend on
> this).  If attempting to re-install, you receive the error:
>
> "sudo apt-get install ros-electric-vision-opencv
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   ros-electric-vision-opencv: Depends: libopencv2.3-dev (=
> 2.3.1+svn6514+branch23-8~lucid) but 2.3.1+svn6514+branch23-6~lucid is to be
> installed
> E: Broken packages"
>
> There appear to be several ROS answers related to this and a failed OpenCV
> release related to SSE optimization:
> http://answers.ros.org/question/2787/illegal-instruction
>
> http://answers.ros.org/question/2839/illegal-instruction-when-using-image_view-with
>
> http://answers.ros.org/question/2882/about-compiling-opencv-programs-outside-ros
>
> And another related to broken installations and the specific OpenCV
> release:
>
> http://answers.ros.org/question/2881/unmet-dependencies-in-ros-electric-desktop-full
>
> To make matters worse, the debbuild status page is currently 503
> unavailable, so I'm not sure if someone is fixing things or if that's an
> unrelated problem, but I don't see anything on Hudson that looks like it's
> building a fix.
> http://www.ros.org/debbuild/electric.html
> http://build.willowgarage.com/
>
> Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this situation.
>
> Thanks,
>  - Chad

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer