[Ros-release] IPs in ROS_IP/ROS_HOSTNAME

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 13 08:30:20 UTC 2012

Hi Marcus,

Can you be clearer about what troubles you're having? There shouldn't be
any changes in behavior.  If you are seeing some I'd suggest you file a
ticket on the appropriate github.  I'd expect
https://github.com/ros/ros_comm/issues?page=1&state=open We did merge the
IPv6 patches which might have caused a regression.

Tully

PS ROS_HOSTNAME is the superset of ROS_IP functionality, taking either a
hostname or IP.  It was designed to replace ROS_IP but we've never removed
the old environment variable as it's used in many places.  .

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Marcus Liebhardt <
marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com> wrote:

> Hi there!
> I'm running the second beta here (on an Ubuntu 64bit machine) and having
> troubles running nodelets, when I'm using an IP address in either ROS_IP or
> ROS_HOSTNAME.
> Using an IP address in ROS_MASTER_URI alone (no ROS_IP/ROS_HOSTNAME set)
> works fine. Names in ROS_HOSTNAME also don't cause any trouble.
>
> Is that a bug or do I miss something
>
> Cheers,
> Marcus
>
> PS: Please let me know, in case there is a better place for
> release-related bugs and problems.
> PPS: I heard rumours, that ROS_IP is deprecated. Is that true?
>
> --
> Marcus Liebhardt
> Control Engineer
> Yujin Robot
> 주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
> Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu,
> Seoul, 153-023, Republic of Korea
> Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
> Email: marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
> Phone: +82-70-46577073