[Ros-release] rosinstall with catkin

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Tue Feb 7 23:01:07 UTC 2012

Hi Jack,

I did a bit of a hackathon on rosinstall and catkin last night.  If you
have rosinstall 0.5.26 and catkin 0.3.14 or higher it should work now.  The
version of rosinstall is now on pypi.  And the catkin update has not yet
been propogated to the full builds.

To get running in the meantime, while waiting for catking 0.3.14 to
propogeate,  if you update rosinstall and make the following patch it
should work.

The trick is to add a setup-file line to your /opt/ros/fuerte/.rosinstall
file so it looks like this:
{{{
- other:
    local-name: /opt/ros/fuerte/share/ros
    setup-file: /opt/ros/fuerte/setup.sh
- other:
    local-name: /opt/ros/fuerte/share
}}}

After you've done that you should be able to call

rosinstalll ~/workspace my_old_style_packages.rosinstall  /opt/ros/fuerte

Adding documentation of this is on my shortlist.  It'll likely go into the
catkin docs.

Tully

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> > Does your /opt/ros/fuerte/setup.sh not have that setting?
>
> It does, but the one created by rosinstall does not.
>
> Should I just give up on rosinstall for now?
> --
>  joq

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer