[Ros-release] ROS Fuerte Freeze Schedule Update

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Fri Feb 3 01:24:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Brian Gerkey <gerkey at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there no longer a $ROS_ROOT/tools directory? I use them to find
>> things like rosemacs and rosbash in a distribution-agnostic fashion.
>>
>> I see rosbash has moved to share/rosbash. Still can't find rosemacs
>> (only its manifest.xml).
>
> We preserved certain parts of the old layout for backward
> compatibility, notably:
> * $ROS_ROOT/core/roslib/src/*
> * $ROS_ROOT/core/rosbuild/*
> * $ROS_ROOT/mk/rosbuild/*
>
> rosbash didn't make the cut because it's usually only included by
> generated files, and we're updating those to use `rospack find
> rosbash/rosbash instead.
>
> rosemacs looks to have been dropped on the ground.  We're installing
> its manifest.xml, but none of its files.  That's clearly wrong.  Would
> it be sufficient to install all files from rosemacs to share/rosemacs/

Not dropped, just waiting for migration.  The plan is to make rosemacs
separately downloadable.

rosemacs gets incremental improvements that are, by and large,
independent of a particular ROS distribution.  i.e. there's no reason
for my emacs bindings to get worse just because I am using an older
distro.

 - Ken